Taking Shelter just North of the Bering Strait

Life is difficult at the moment! We have been stuck for over a week sheltering from strong northerly winds, anchored off the south shore of Point Hope north of the Bering Strait, unable to make progress north. Also the ice up north is not particularly good. And time marches on in the short arctic summer. So all a balancing act at the moment.

Crew are patiently waiting and still keen ‘to go’. I am just slightly concerned that if we get north and there is too much ice, how do we get back if wind has gone southerly!

But a nice break. Balthazar a boat we met last summer and who wintered before the end of the Passage at Lnuvik down the Mackenzie River came round the corner two nights ago on their way south. We have enjoyed Craik together and a pot luck supper together on their boat last night. Great to see them.

We are hoping to move north at the beginning of next week….

Advertisements

A Difficult Passage Thus Far….

A Message From The Captain…

This is proving a difficult passage this year. So far we have had an engine crisis and and an anchor winch crisis, both resolved be Rich who is fast becoming our Mr. Fixit with his vast experience of boats. But the real issue is that we are trapped in a cycle of northerly winds, coming from where we want to go, namely Point Barrow, the north westerly tip of Alaska. Also the ice has not yet opened up properly this year up there and there is only a narrow channel along the North Alaskan slope.

A cruise in the Aleutians to the south sound a very good idea!  My crew would shoot me!

We’re All at Sea ….. A Message from the Captain

We are at sea at last, though the ice is not too good up north by the look of things. Through the Bering Strait, some sailing but looks as if we will be motoring again soon. Had a bit of a turm when the motor suddenly cut out yesterday. But we (Rich) changed the fuel filters and, crucially I think, cleaned the air filter which I had neglected to do over the years…in business again

Noah grounded for a while !

Noah grounded for a while when the sun came out. But afloat happily again with conditions normal again for Nome…..

But the ice is beginning to open ‘up north’. Still early days, and I have not got all my crew yet….but…

The electric anchor winch was playing up. But the skipper of yacht Empiricus, a genius at all that sort of thing, has fixed it. Only we now have an ammunition box bolted down on the bow with the remote control in it. A rather novel feature for a sailing boat…..  

Wonder what the US Coastguards will think of that……